We had an absolutely bloody brilliant time. This was the holiday we’d waited three years for. However, amongst the very many things we took, we did not need some of them, namely:
- Rounders and cricket – really too hot to be running after balls, and our van was right the other end of the site from the big open space to play in.
- Catan and monopoly – I’d forgotten how it’s foolish to play games with small pieces on a deck with gaps they can fall through and the kitchen didn’t really have enough surface space for playing big board games.
- Sewing kit – doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good idea to take
- G&T – I ended up drinking local tipples instead.
- Inflatables – the pool didn’t allow big rubber rings and the boys decided that the lake was too stony underfoot even with water shoes, the little pebbles got through the holes. So they got used once and that was that.
- Decaf coffee – yeah again the heat meant that coffee was only required first thing for caffeination purposes. I could have made iced decaf lattes, but didn’t.
- Jumpers and waterproofs – the literally stayed in the back of the truck the whole 2 weeks. I wouldn’t have left them at home though, you never know!
- A couple of pairs of my shoes – I packed a new pair of flipflops and ballet pumps but never wore them. My Birkenstock-alikes were all I used apart from bike rides and runs really.
I don’t think we did too badly really. I hate over-packing as you only have a certain amount of space and don’t want to waste it with stuff you don’t even need.
How about you?
Was there anything on my list of everything essential that you thought was ridiculous to take?